What is CE certification
The "CE" mark is a security certification mark, which is regarded as the manufacturer's passport to open and enter the European market. CE stands for Conformite Europeenne. All products with the "CE" mark can be sold in the EU member states without meeting the requirements of each member state, thus realizing the free circulation of goods within the EU member states.
In the EU market, "CE" mark is mandatory certification mark. Whether the products produced by enterprises in the EU or those produced by other countries, if they want to circulate freely in the EU market, they must be affixed with "CE" mark to show that the products meet the basic requirements of the directive of "New Method of Technical Coordination and Standardization" of the EU. This is a mandatory requirement for products under EU law.
Origin of CE Certification
CE is a French abbreviation which means "European Community" in English. In fact, CE is also a abbreviation of the term "EC" in many languages of the European Community. The European Community is abbreviated as Commune Europeia in French, Comunita Europea in Italian and Comunidade Europeia in Portuguese. In Spanish, it was Comunidade Europe, etc., so EC was changed to CE. Of course, you could also view CE as
CONFORMITY WITH EUROPEAN (DEMAND) (in Europe ()), "the main requirements", constitutes the core of the EUROPEAN directive in the EUROPEAN union on May 7, 1985, (85 / C136/01), the new method of technology coordination and the standard of the resolution of the need for formulating and implementing instruction purpose "main requirements" has a certain meaning, which is limited to products do not endanger the safety of humans, animals and goods in terms of the basic safety requirements, rather than the general quality requirements, coordination command only main requirements, general instruction requirement is a standard task. If the product meets the relevant major requirements of the relevant directive, the CE mark can be added, instead of being used in accordance with the provisions of the relevant standard on general quality. Therefore, the precise meaning is: CE mark is a safety mark rather than a quality mark. In the 1940s, Western European countries felt that in order to guarantee their own security, improve their international status and accelerate economic development between the two powers, they had to unite together, so they vigorously pushed the European integration process. European integration can be divided into five levels: establishing a free trade area, a customs union, a single large market, an economic and monetary union and a political union.
CE certification mark meaning
The free circulation of goods is the cornerstone of the establishment of the single market, and the mechanism to realize the free circulation of goods is the CE mark. This mechanism is based on the avoidance of new trade barriers, mutual recognition and technical standard coordination among EU countries. The principles are as follows: - The content of harmonised legal documents (i.e. EU directives) is limited to the basic requirements of the product in order to facilitate the free circulation of the product within the EU;
- EU harmonization standards contain the basic requirements of the Directive;
- The application of the harmonized standards and other standards is voluntary. Products can choose to apply the harmonized standards or other technical specifications to meet the basic requirements stipulated in the Directive;
- Products that meet the harmonized EU standards are naturally recognized as meeting the basic requirements of the Directive.
In order to make the basic product requirements laid down in the Directive more workable, a series of harmonized EU standards are developed, and it is the responsibility of the member states to harmonize their national standards with them. Moreover, the discussion mechanism of whether the coordination standard conforms to the spirit of the directive and the standard revision mechanism are also set up.
Since the requirements stipulated in the Directive are mandatory requirements for all countries to comply with, they should be recognized as the minimum guidelines for the prevention of safety risks or other hazards, different from the commercial technical requirements in general trade, and suitable for the objective requirements of standardization.
In order to implement the principles of the single market in practice, the EU further stipulates a reliable way to assess whether a product meets the basic requirements of the Directive, which is commonly known as CE certification:
- Introduce the concept of product evaluation modularization, which consists of evaluation modules to form product evaluation procedure, and CE mark will be used for products that pass the evaluation according to the evaluation procedure;
- The introduction of harmonized EU standards, quality management system standards (EN ISO 9000 series) and quality assurance standards of assessment agencies (EN45000 series);
- Establishment of a system of accreditation of evaluation agencies and a comparison mechanism among evaluation agencies at the EU level and among Member States;
- Establishment of mutual recognition mechanisms in the field of product testing and certification, which used to be a cluster of countries;
- Simplify differences in system structures in the area of quality (e.g., metering and calibration systems, test laboratories, certification and inspection bodies, accreditation bodies) between Member States and between industries;
- Promoting international trade among Member States and between Member States and countries outside the EU through mutual recognition agreements, cooperation and other technical assistance programmes. The purpose of the CE mark is to provide a practical and flexible way of product qualification evaluation, in order to meet the diversity of modern industrial production under the trend of global economic integration. Catering to all stages of product development, production and circulation (such as design, proofing and production), the product evaluation module is divided into technical document inspection, type test, quality assurance, and in practice, the evaluation is completed by the manufacturer or a third party agency.
Products must meet the basic requirements of all applicable EU directives before they are placed on the market and put into service. The CE mark shall be marked after the product is evaluated and qualified through the appropriate product evaluation procedure. All marking CE mark products that have met all the instructions of the eu, member states must take positive measures to ensure the free flow of the single market, unless there is clear evidence that the product does not meet the basic requirements in the applicable instructions, or the product has not yet been a significant risk of present instruction rules.
Common questions about CE certification
1. How much does CE certification cost?
CE certification price varies greatly according to different products and different standards. If only one test of CE can be done at least several hundred pieces. If the product involves more standards, the cost will exceed tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of costs if the evaluation and test is difficult.
CE-EMC common products around 1800-2500, CE-RED wireless products around 3500-5000, CE-MD mechanical products around 5000-50000.
As there are many factors affecting the price, the exact price can only be determined after detailed communication.
2.CE certification cycle?
The general cycle is about 2-3 weeks, and the urgent one is 1 week. Our core principle is to be customer-centric, to be responsive to our customers' needs.
3. What is the difference between the certificate of the notified institution and the self-issued certificate?
EU Notified Bodies are NB Bodies, which are officially designated by the EU, and they all have their unique Notices.
There are not many EU notified agencies operating independently in the Chinese market, many of which are handled by third-party certification and testing agencies in China.
4. Why did your company issue the certificate in DOC type instead of COC type?
The main difference between the two types of COC and DOC is that of the issuing agency.
CoC Certificate :Certificate of Compliance Directives → only issued by the NB body of the European Union (notified body);
Declaration of Conformity → Usually a self-declaration of the manufacturer of the products.